Welcome
Welcome to Racing Sparrow Model Yachts Forum

mast

The Forum for RacingSparrow radio controlled yachts. Focussing on build your own scratch building, free plans for download and a comprehensive builders guide book.

Best wishes and happy sailing, Bryn Heveldt.

mast

Postby flydog » October 13th, 2016, 9:22 am

Hi all
I am from the UK and I am finding it imposible to get a mast suitable for the sparrow can anyone help me
flydog

Re: mast

Postby royalm » October 16th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Hello flydog, if you can`t get aluminium you could try your local fishing supply shop for a length of carbon fibre fishing rod, good luck.
royalm

Postby m-o-t- » October 17th, 2016, 9:49 am

Do not limit yourself on size of mast.
I use 6mm od with a wall thickness of 1mm. Others use much larger up to 10-12 mm od, but do try to keep the wall thickness thin.
Maker Of Things
m-o-t-

Postby sarnian » October 18th, 2016, 7:14 am

I got mine from B&Q a while ago and it was really good stuff, but only 1M long pieces so joiners are necessary, I use the next size down tube.
Last time I looked the stuff they had was not as good, the wall thickness varied so you cant telescope a smaller tube into a larger one to make connector pieces etc. but they might be worth a look in case they have changed their supplier again.
sarnian

Postby exrhodie » October 20th, 2016, 4:16 am

As Sarnian has said I got mine from B&Q. I could only get 1m lengths but for the sake of 46mm I would go for it. I have also bought some rather nice carbon fibre tube from my local hobby shop which has worked a treat on another model which I built. I am planning a Panache in the coming months and will go with carbon fibre on that one also. I think that we tend to stick fairly rigidly to Bryn's book but there was a lovely post recently about using stuff that can be found around the home as substitutes. I fully endorse this concept. Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.
exrhodie

Postby flydog » October 24th, 2016, 2:36 am

thanks for all your replies, I managed to get a piece carbon fibre 7mm with a 2mm wall.
flydog

Postby royalm » November 2nd, 2016, 1:32 pm

Hi Flydog, for the booms, I purchased some watercolour paint brushes for A$2 cut off the brush, painted them silver and now have two beautifully tapered booms. See pic. of Foxy Lady in Gallery.
I also used an old aluminium TV antenna for all the aluminium struts for the stand.
Thinking outside the square.
royalm

Postby Moonbeam70 » November 7th, 2016, 3:42 am

Hi I am new to this forum. I am building a 750 mm Sparrow and I bought 8 mm carbon fibre from U.F.O in Weston Super Mare who sell it in 1.5 metre lengths and I bought 6 mm x 1 metre from Model Discounts also in Weston Super Mare
You can get the telephone numbers from their web sites.
Moonbeam70

Postby sapper » November 8th, 2016, 1:08 am

hi you can get carbon fiber rod from the sports shop called decathlon they sell it in 8 mm for masts and 6mm
for the booms its a well known company and am sure they have a branch in leeds
sapper

Return to Racing Sparrow Model Yachts Topics