Welcome
Welcome to Racing Sparrow Model Yachts Forum

RG65 mainsail query

The Forum for RacingSparrow radio controlled yachts. Focussing on build your own scratch building, free plans for download and a comprehensive builders guide book.

Best wishes and happy sailing, Bryn Heveldt.

RG65 mainsail query

Postby PhilPlumb » April 3rd, 2017, 5:14 am

I have just started building an RG65 Racing Sparrow. The head of the mainsail is almost horizontal and I cannot see how it maintains its shape. The top of the mainsail appears to be laced to a bar below the topper - is that bar hinged so it can move with the sail and if so how? Also there are three diagonal lines on the sail running up from the mast to the top corner of the sail. Are these extra stiffening and if so what can I use? I am using ripstop nylon for the sails. I realise that many people have built RG65's so I'm probably being a bit thick.
PhilPlumb

Re: RG65 mainsail query

Postby racingSparrow » April 3rd, 2017, 6:59 am

It sounds like you have no vang tension. The vang attaches to the bottom of the mast and then to the boom on a 45degree angle. It carries a fair bit of tension and is a vital part of the rig.

Hope this helps.
racingSparrow
Site Admin

Postby racingSparrow » April 3rd, 2017, 12:16 pm

Alternatively, If you buy the book for $12NZD it tells you all you need to know:

http://racingsparrow.co.nz/bookinfo
racingSparrow
Site Admin

Postby PhilPlumb » April 3rd, 2017, 9:47 pm

Thanks for that. I'm using a book I bought some years ago - 2007 edition - and it doesn't show details of rigging what is effectively the "B" rig sail. I don't know if there are any more changes in the later book.
PhilPlumb

Postby racingSparrow » April 4th, 2017, 7:27 am

In 2013 the book did have some small revisions. The B-rig is mostly the same apart from the dimensions. It has the same amount of battens from memory. All the same techniques required.
racingSparrow
Site Admin

Postby PhilPlumb » April 18th, 2017, 6:31 am

I have now bought the latest book as well as downloading the alternative sail designs. I cannot see any reference to rigging the B-rig style sails. On the RG65 plan the head of the mainsail is attached to the horizontal arm of an inverted L. The vertical arm of the L appears to be supported by a tube attached in some way to the mast - see attached picture. I've looked at photos of Racing Sparrows with the same rig but cannot work out how the top of the sail is attached to the mast - what have I missed?
PhilPlumb

Postby KIWINB » April 25th, 2017, 9:03 am

I made the wire "L" from a Bike spoke and lashed and CA'd 2 short pieces of tube to the mast to hinge the "L". The tubes are cut from Stainless Steel knitting needles I found in a $2 shop, I have bought several sizes from 2mm to 6mm for various use. They are very light. I used 3 different sizes, the Jib boom is 4mm and the Main is 5mm. The 2 small pieces at the top of the mast are 2mm as the bike spoke fits well.
I made the sail from ripstop (as used in Kites), as a single panel and as the leech is straight I have no battens. The sail sets very well and the boat is a rocket.Image
KIWINB

Return to Racing Sparrow Model Yachts Topics