Welcome
Welcome to Racing Sparrow Model Yachts Forum

sourcing materials advice

The Forum for RacingSparrow radio controlled yachts. Focussing on build your own scratch building, free plans for download and a comprehensive builders guide book.

Best wishes and happy sailing, Bryn Heveldt.

sourcing materials advice

Postby weebug » July 20th, 2016, 11:10 pm

HI Everyone,
Ive just started building the 750, its the first project like this ive ever done.
ive got the strip planking done but now im finding it difficult to get hold of the fibreglass kit,Im also anticipating problems getting hold of the other materials.
i live in Scotland, does anyone know where i can get the things i need ie fibreglass kit, spray putty, fairing compound, rudder?
thanks in advance for any much needed advice.
weebug

Re: sourcing materials advice

Postby exrhodie » July 21st, 2016, 5:52 am

Hi, I found a good source for fibreglass and fairing compound to be Halfords. I assume you have them there. They also came up with the paint. B&Q were my source for a mast and booms. The rudder came through the internet from some local model shop, probably Cornwall Models. Hobby King were great for radio gear. Use the international warehouse if you are not in a hurry as their prices are cheaper.
Good luck with the build. I have been more than happy with mine and am still going strong after a good few years.
exrhodie

Postby weebug » July 22nd, 2016, 12:15 am

Hi exrhodie
Halfords of course, why didn't I think of that!
Does fairing compound go under any other names?
Thanks for getting back to me and glad to hear your boat is still going strong.
Hope mine lasts that long!
weebug

Postby Michael » July 22nd, 2016, 8:45 pm

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk

Try these they have everything you need.

Mick
Michael

Postby sarnian » July 23rd, 2016, 2:47 am

I also get everything from http://www.easycomposites.co.uk.
Halfords don't do fibreglass cloth suitable for models so you need to go elsewhere for that anyway
I always use Epoxy resin, which is more expensive than polyester resin but can be bought in 500g kits and this goes a long way if you only mix what you need at a time (same weight in resin to weight of cloth). You need a set of scales that are accurate to 0.1g (I got mine on EbAY for about £5).
Epoxy resin is better, stronger and has low odour too, unlike polyester resin.
sarnian

Postby exrhodie » July 23rd, 2016, 4:22 am

An interesting response from Sarnian and one which interested me greatly. I bought Halfords car repair kit type glass mat together with their fibreglass resin for repairing cars. It did my 750 and a far more ambitious project which was a model of the Russian ocean going salvage tug "Bars", a 900mm model. Both models turned out extremely well and I am more than satisfied with the strength and water tightness of both models. I frequently sail on the Grand Union Canal where I often dodge Barges (and sometimes collide with them). I am not a competitive sailor but have had some wonderful fun through the years with my Halfords Mat yacht. It also proves competitive with commercial yachts of similar size. I think that sometimes one can become a little carried away with these models. My intention was to enjoy the build and to enjoy "playing" with my yacht (which can be seen on the front page of the website). I have achieved both objectives and remain a committed Racing Sparrow fan.

Regards to all

Mel
exrhodie

Postby sarnian » July 24th, 2016, 3:28 am

Hi exrhodie,

Although I only use epoxy resin myself, there is nothing wrong with the resin from halfords, as you have found with your models it is strong enough and produces a good watertight model.

The only problem with the halfords kits is they come with heavy cloth, whereas from easy composites you can get lightweight cloth by the meter. If you get cloth there you are best to get everything there to reduce postage cost, and polyester resin although cheaper per Litre than epoxy resin, comes in bigger amounts so doesn't work out cheaper.

One big advantage of epoxy resin as I mentioned before is the low odour, it hardly has any smell. Polyester resin on the other hand has quite a strong odour, which may be a factor if you are building in your house.
sarnian

Postby exrhodie » July 25th, 2016, 1:34 am

Hi Sarnian,

I entirely take your point. I had to share my experiences which were positive (and yes, apart from the smell). I also remembered in the interim that I bought the fibreglass tissue rather than the mat. This may have made the difference. I know it is off topic but here is a picture of the tug in it's still incomplete state.

DSC07876-Mini.jpg
exrhodie

Return to Racing Sparrow Model Yachts Topics